Q: My car has no oil, the only oil I have available at the moment is 5w-30 but my car requires 5w-20 is it ok if I put it in? Will it

My car requires 5w-20 there is very little oil left and the nearest auto parts store in far away I live in the sticks. I have 5w-30 available. Can I use it without inflicting damage to me vehicle?

5W-30 is perfectly OK to use on this vehicle on a temporary basis. The only detriment, and it will be hard to detect without complex measuring equipment, is the higher viscosity 5W-30 technically creates "pumping losses" in the engine which will lead to slightly reduced fuel economy. The 5W-30 oil is thicker and so it is harder to pump. With 5W-30 oil, there is no danger of inadequate engine bearing, valve train, or cylinder wall lubrication though. At your first opportunity, simply change back to the 5W-20. YourMechanic offers oil and filter changes during mobile visits right to your location and you can avail yourself of that service as the cost is lower and the service is much more personalized than at a shop or dealer. If you have additional concerns or a follow-up on this, don’t hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic.

3. My car has no oil, the only oil I have available at the moment is 5w-30 but my car requires 5w-20 is it ok if I put it in? Will it