Q: Should I change the transmission fluid?

asked by on December 11, 2016

I own a 2008 mitsubishi galant 2.4L 4 cylinder engine with an automatic transmission. I bought it with 141,000 miles and now has 169,837 miles. I checked the transmission fluid and is brown in color but does not smell burnt. The car runs great and the transmission shifts fine. A mechanic recommended to change the fluid (not flush it). My question is would it be a risk to change the fluid? Should I change it as soon as possible or leave it alone and wait until the car starts giving me problems or symptoms?

Generally, when the transmission fluid turns a brown color, it has been broken down and is no longer providing the protection needed for the transmission. As you know, the transmission fluid is designed to provide lubrication, protection and hydraulic pressure. As it breaks down over time, it may lose these qualities and lessen the effect on the transmission potentially resulting in transmission problems. I would recommend having a professional from YourMechanic come to your location to perform a transmission fluid service.