Q: Car starts with remote not key

asked by on November 17, 2016

I was using an air compressor to inflate tires. Used quite a while. Not sure if it was the accessory or lighter port. Car died while running and now starts with remote starter but not with key. When started with remote it will not keep running when key is inserted into ignition - just dies. Help!! 2008 GMC Envoy

Electric Problems Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Hi there:

Although it’s very rare, sometimes overuse of an accessory power outlet can cause an electrical "glitch" to occur that causes the issue you’re experiencing. The best way to rectify this issue is to download any stored error codes from the ECU with a digital scanner, clear those codes then test start your GMC. What happens sometimes is that an error code actually disables the ignition relay from the key port, but is bypassed by a remote starter. If you don’t have a digital scanner, contact a mobile mechanic from YourMechanic.com to complete an electrical problems inspection.