Q: Transmission slamming into gear

Hi. I have a previously owned Saab that runs well most of the time. However, there is this issue I've noticed related to the transmission almost slamming into gear. This happens when I shift into drive, so it's a daily issue that I would like to fix. I checked the transmission fluid. It seems that it has a smell as if it was burnt a bit and the level is a bit too high. Is this a serious transmission issue? How can I fix this? Thanks.

A: When the transmission bangs into gear, it i...

When the transmission bangs into gear, it is usually due to either the engine or transmission mounts. When the mounts are worn out, they allow excessive movement that is noticed when switching between drive, park, neutral, and reverse at idle. A qualified technician like one from YourMechanic will be able to diagnose your shifting issue and perform any repairs you may need.