Q: How Do You Deal With a Car Battery for Long Term Storage?

How do you deal with a car battery for long term storage?

A: Batteries need special care when being stor...

Batteries need special care when being stored for an extended length of time. A battery has 3-5 years’ life expectancy. This can be shortened when doing long term storage incorrectly. When the battery is connected, voltage draws from the vehicle’s computer systems; over time this can discharge the battery. Cold weather can also create this condition. The battery needs to maintain a consistent voltage at all times; if the battery goes below a certain voltage it starts to degrade. There are two ways to maintain the proper voltage for the battery. The first way is to remove the battery from the vehicle and use a charging maintainer, sometimes known as a trickle charger. This charger maintains the proper voltage for battery. The drawback by doing this is you will lose computer memory, such as radio, electric seat positions. The engine and transmission would have to go through a relearning process for fuel correction values and transmission shift points. The second way to maintain proper voltage is to leave battery in the vehicle connected and use a battery maintainer. The battery maintainer can be connected 24/7 and it operates automatically. This second method is recommended. For more information on long-term battery storage, take a look at YourMechanic’s Advice website.