Q: Manual vs. automatic transmission for a first-time driver

What manual transmission car would you recommend for a first-time driver? Or would I be better off with an automatic?

A: I learned to drive on a standard transmissi...

I learned to drive on a standard transmission. It is not that hard to drive a modern standard transmission, because hydraulic clutches run smooth, and the shift is on the floor. It’s not like when I was a kid, when it was on column and you had to pull it back and forth. It is pretty simple. I say if you can find as Toyota Corolla or Honda Civic that has a standard, go and buy one. They are well made and they can last a long time.