Q: Turn key to start, lose all power, it resets and starts. Battery is not dead.

I have replaced the battery and had system load tested, everything checked out ok. It is a intermittent problem right now when it happens I can hear a click like a breaker dropping out and I lose all power. I lose radio presets and correct time. Today it reset when I closed the door and the car started normally. In the past it reset when I connected my battery charger and I noticed that the battery was not dead and the car started right up. I was wondering if a starter relay could be the problem.

If you are losing all battery power intermittently but your car’s battery is testing good, check the battery clamp connections to the cables for corrosion. The cables will show green tinted corrosion at or near the connections where the cables connect to the clamps on the battery.

If you remove the connections where the clamp and cable meet, you can clean off the corrosion using a brush and corrosion remover battery cleaner from a parts store, or a mix of baking soda and water. The cleaner from the parts store works best for this purpose. Once the clamps and cables are clean and dry, reconnect the connectors to the battery, and apply a corrosion inhibitor to the cables and cable ends. You can also get the inhibitor at a parts store.

If you need assistance with this service, get a certified technician, such as one from YourMechanic, to service the battery cables for you and replace the battery cables if the clamps or cables are corroded to the point where they cannot be cleaned.

• Turn key to start, lose all power, it resets and starts. Battery is not dead.