Q: Wiper jumping across the windshields

One of my wiper spindles has a lot of play. The wiper jumped across the windshield and annoyed me. I put some lithium grease on it to stop jumping. Is that a permanent solution? If not--what is?

If it needed lubrication, it very well could be. But, if it’s coming back, a lot of times those spindles have adjustable knots so you can make them tighter to the body.

A lot of times that knot holding on can be loose and start wobbling around, so you might want to tighten it up. If it’s not that, you just need to buy a new spindle assembly.

Now, these can be super expensive, but there are always junk yards. At junk yards it’s a lot cheaper than buying the brand new one, because those are dealer-only parts that usually cost a bunch of money to buy new.

3. Wiper jumping across the windshields