Q: When Should Hazard Lights Be Used?

When should hazard lights be used?

Hazard lights are used for emergency situations and to alert other drivers to issues such as poor road conditions or vehicle breakdown. They are suggested in situations like heavy rain or blinding snow when you have to reduce speed for safe travel.

Trucks, especially large tractor trailers, will use them when going uphill as they drop below the rated road speed. School buses and certain vehicles which haul hazardous materials will use them when stopping at railroad crossings. They are also used when going through school zones or on the back of vehicles being towed.

The actual use of the hazard lights can vary from state to state so it is best to check with your state and local laws concerning their proper use. The correct way to enable your hazard lights is to activate them via a switch attached to your turn signals or by a separate switch on your steering column or dash.

The lights operate by making and breaking the circuit connection internally through a part called a flasher. This acts as a sort of cycling circuit breaker to supply the power on and off to control all of the turning lights on the exterior of the vehicle, as well as the two indicator lights on the dash assembly. Like all safety equipment, they should be checked regularly for proper operation so when they are needed you can feel assured they are ready to work properly.

3. When Should Hazard Lights Be Used?