Q: Whistling sound when accelerating from a stop

My car runs well generally. There are no issues with starting the engine. The dashboard isn't showing any warnings on either. However, I've noticed that the engine makes whistling sounds when I accelerate from a complete stop. How serious is this problem? What kind of repairs are required?

A: Hello. There could be a vacuum leak in the ...

Hello. There could be a vacuum leak in the intake or intake gasket. The breather tube from the air filter box to the intake could have a leak in it as well, which may cause the noise you are hearing. Another possible problem that may cause this is a bad serpentine belt or one of the belt pulleys. This may cause the noise you are hearing during acceleration.

Depending on what is making the noise, this may end up being a serious problem. It there is a problem with a belt or belt pulley, this may at some point disable the car. It would be a good idea to have a certified technician, like one from YourMechanic, complete an inspection of the intake system and vacuum lines to diagnose and repair the whistling sound.