Q: New starter and battery, damn thing still won't turn over.

asked by on February 05, 2017

Hi there. Last week my Jeep was running just fine (although it was taking about a second longer than normal to start). I parked it and turned it off for about 20 minutes and it wouldn't turn over, the starter just clicked rapidly when I tried. So I replaced both the battery and the starter (both were old anyway) and the issue persists. I've replaced all the connectors to the starter itself and visually inspected all wires, with no obvious issues. The other strange part is that when I turn power on without trying to turn the engine over, my battery gauge will go to 11 volts for about a minute, and then drop to 9 and stay there. Additionally, when I turn the key, the starter clicks and my emergency brake gauge light turns on, even when the e-brake isn't engaged. I turned the engine over by hand so I know it isn't seized, but I'm stumped at this point. Figured I'd try this before getting it towed to a shop. Any ideas?

Hi there. It sounds like there is either a short to power or feedback occurring in an electrical circuit. Locating the faulty circuit can be time consuming, but it can be accomplished. Look for chaffed/melted wiring and corroded connectors and ground points. You could also start by removing fuses and note when the battery voltage returns to normal; determine via a repair manual and electrical wiring diagram as to what circuits are powered by that fuse and begin checking. I suggest having a qualified technician perform an inspection to avoid replacing unnecessary parts. Your Mechanic has several available technicians that can assist you with a car does not start inspection.