Q: I attempt to start the car, power comes on does not click or attempt to turn over. If I try to start it again, no power.

asked by on September 27, 2016

I attempt to start the car, power comes on does not click or attempt to turn over. If I attempt to start it again right after, it's as if the battery is completely dead and I get no power at all. I have to disconnect the negative to get power back.

Hi, thanks for writing in. I’d be happy to help. This sounds like you may have a short somewhere in your electrical system. Try checking all of your fuses in the fuse box under the hood. There should be a starter relay fuse that is 40 Amps. Try checking this to be sure it is not burnt or broken. There are also two other ignition fuses (also 40 Amps) that will be right next to this that should also be checked. This is the easiest place to start. If all of these are good and the problem still persists, I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your home to diagnose the issue for you and perform or suggest the necessary repairs.