Q: Locks don’t all work, might be electric problem

My 2011 Ford Focus is showing signs that some of the door locks may be faulty. Sometimes one of the front doors will not unlock when the rest of the doors are unlocked. The same thing happened before with one of the rear doors (had to replace the hardware) but now, at around 45,000 miles, it is happening with the two front doors. Is this a hardware problem or an electrical problem?

The door latch assembly has a lock actuator as part of it. The complete assembly, except for a couple internal pieces, is made of plastic and doesn’t last as long as it used to when it was made of metal. These assemblies are more compact and lighter though. The repair needed for your car will be a replacement latch assembly in each door. This should correct the problem for at least a few years. There are aftermarket assemblies available which are an alternative to the dealer parts and may save your money on the cost of the parts. YourMechanic can quote the repair cost and install the assemblies for you.

3. Locks don’t all work, might be electric problem