Q: How do you change the engine oil on?

How do you change the engine oil on?

A: While it’s recommended that you have a prof...

While it’s recommended that you have a professional change your car’s engine oil, this is a service that you can do on your own provided you have the right tools, a place to do it, and a way to safely get rid of your old engine oil. Here’s how to do it:

1. Make sure the engine is at operating temperature.

2. Park the car level.

3. Pull the hood release under the dash.

4. Open the hood.

5. Remove the oil filler cap.

6. Put a catch pan under the car, positioned to catch the oil from the oil pan.

7. Remove the drain plug from the oil pan and let the old oil drain out.

8. Replace the crush washer on the drain plug.

9. Replace the drain plug in the pan when the oil has stopped flowing.

10. Move the catch pan under the oil filter.

11. Use a filter wrench to remove the old oil filter. Set it aside (in the drain pan).

12. Check the mounting plate for the gasket from the old oil filter. Remove it if it’s stuck to the plate.

13. Lubricate the gasket of the new filter with fresh oil.

14. Install the filter but do not over tighten it. 29 ft lbs on a 1.8 and 30 ft lbs on 2.4.

15. Dispose of the old oil properly.

16. Add oil to the engine:

• 3.9 quarts if you have a 1.8-liter engine

• 4.4 quarts if you have a 2.4-liter engine

1. Replace the oil cap.

2. Run the engine for a few minutes. Check the oil plug and the filter for leaks.

3. Turn off the engine and check the oil on the dipstick. Top off the oil if necessary.

Tip

If the Low Oil Pressure light on the dash does not go off during the pressure check, turn off the engine and check for leaks.