Q: When should I wash and what procedures should I follow?

When should I wash and what procedures should I follow?

A: Keeping your car’s exterior in good shape i...

Keeping your car’s exterior in good shape is important for a number of reasons. Of course, it helps it stay looking great, but it also helps protect the clearcoat and paint against damage. Here’s what you need to know about washing your car:

1. Wash your car after it rains, after visiting a coastal area or when dust and dirt build up on the outside.

2. Use a wet sponge and a mild soap (Nissan recommends a soap formulated for automotive paint).

3. Never use hot water (lukewarm water is recommended).

4. Rinse the soap thoroughly.

5. Dry the car with a chamois.

6. Make sure to clean the inside edges of the doors, as well as the trunk.

7. Wax your car periodically.

8. Polish your car before waxing.

9. Never wax your car if you haven’t just washed it.

10. Don’t forget to clean the undercarriage, particularly if you live in an area where salt is used on the roads during the winter.