Q: 1985 Buick Riviera doesn't start

asked by on April 13, 2016

I have a 1985 Buick Riviera and it doesn't start. It has a new fuel pump and carburetor.

Watch my video, "fixing the car that cranks and doesn’t start up," and it will give you all the steps to go through. But basically, what you want to do is see if you have fuel going into the engine and spark going into the spark plugs. You pull out the spark plug, get a spark plug tester, crank it open and see if you have spark.

Maybe you’ve lost spark. It could be a bad ignition control module or a bad distributor. You’ve got to figure out what isn’t working. If you would have a professional take a look at your car, a certified technician from YourMechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose your starting issue and make the needed repairs for you.