Q: Bill a seal and lien

asked by on April 24, 2017

Traded a vehicle for a vehicle due to mechanic problems from our car. Told the car dealer we wanted no payments and that we had a insurance claim bc our car was stolen. The owner of the car lot did not want to deal with it do to the maintenance of a BMW but the worker wanted to trade for his wife's personal vehicle. On the bill a seal we got from him it states my name as buyer his name as seller and the price also it states clear original green title to be received by me. Now here's where we are getting screwed because he places a lien on the title. It states we purchased the car from the Car lot and there's a deferred payment of 1,156 but below were the balanace is it states balance owed cash ✔ 0.00 How can he put a lien on something I owe nothing on? Also we bought the car as a individual owner sell not from the Car lot just because he works there makes no difference. Also he states that our insurance claim check needs to be wrote out to him and the mechanic

Actually, the fact that the paperwork "mistakenly" records the sale as from the dealer, rather than an individual is going to help you untangle this because dealers are heavily regulated in these transactions whereas with private sales between individuals you have less protection. If you do not have an attorney, your best course is to file a complaint with your state Attorney General’s Office (often doable on line). They will help you to navigate the process of getting this untangled. If the Attorney General’s office can’t get it untangled, and you believe you have a valid case, Small Claims Court is an option for everyone. Of course, an Attorney, not a Mechanic will be your best point of contact if you want to learn of your legal options. Please keep us in mind for car repairs and maintenance going forward and best wishes with this. You will get it resolved; you just need to contact the right agency and I think you should start with your state Attorney General’s office.