Q: Is there any way to change the headlight bulb more easily?

My 2008 Chevrolet Malibu has the most annoying problem I've ever encountered in any vehicle which I have owned. The headlight on the driver’s side burned out at around 20,000 miles - which normally would be a small problem - but not for this car! You have to remove either the tire or the bumper to access the front headlight. I can't imagine how this design idea was ever approved! And, the light just burned out again at 44,000 miles. Are there any headlights you can buy which won’t burn out for a very long time?

A: Engineers do not seem to think about anyone...

Engineers do not seem to think about anyone servicing the cars after they design them, and in your situation there is no way around getting access to the headlight bulbs. The bulbs in your car are Halogen style and do not last as long as the old-style bulbs. One thing that will shorten the life of these bulbs is touching the bulb before installation, as oil from your fingers causes the glass to crack. Make sure you keep bulbs clean and handle from the base only when you install them. There is a Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) 10-08-42-001E dated May 16, 2015, which says to inspect and replace the bulb and connector if it shows signs of overheating. The connector end should be replaced with the new bulb. I cannot say if an aftermarket bulb would be better, or as good as original equipment unless it’s certified to meet or exceed manufacturers specifications. GM has stated that aftermarket lenses are not ok as a GM certified replacement. YourMechanic can inspect and replace headlight bulbs on your vehicle as needed.