Q: No acceleration past 30 mph, then 10 mph

Earlier today, while driving, suddenly my car would not accelerate past 30 mph and then it decreased to 10 mph and would not allow me to accelerate past 10 mph. I restarted it and it started with no problems when I tried starting it several times. However, when I shifted into gear it had a high rev, moved slowly, and then stopped moving. I turned off the engine and waited a while. Then repeated the above and the same pattern occurred. Yesterday the check engine light had come on but I was not able to scan it. Today I have checked the oil and it is past the maximum line. Perhaps that is why the check engine light is on. I have not yet checked the transmission fluid. I am thinking that the transmission might be the problem. What is your diagnosis and solution for fixing my car?

A: Hello there, thank you for asking about you...

Hello there, thank you for asking about your 1999 Chrysler Intrepid. The engine oil being overfull will not turn on the Check Engine Light. However, a transmission problem could and that's what your issue sounds like. The first step in diagnosing your vehicle is to retrieve the diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) associated with the Check Engine Light. These codes serve as a starting point for any further diagnostics. You'll also want to check the transmission fluid level to see if it is full and clean. Often an internal transmission problem will result in fluid that is contaminated with metal, friction material, and/or smells burnt. My best advice is to have your vehicle inspected by a professional from YourMechanic who can replace/refill the transmission fluid if needed.