Q: My car will not start. It is completely dead (zero power), is it my alternator?

This morning I went out and my car had zero power. I thought it was the (brand new) battery so I attempted to jump the car. The power came on and I got the engine to turn over but the car would not stay on. I checked and there are no loose belts, but I noticed a whining noise yesterday whilst driving and my alternator wires are all black, though no other obvious issues. There were no warning lights at all on since my last repair. Can I reasonable assume it is my alternator that is the culprit?

A failed alternator is a possibility, and is among the components that would be checked first, but it is not the only possibility. Charging system output should be verified against factory specifications. To have the alternator inspected and replaced, if necessary, please request an alternator inspection/replacement and the responding certified mechanic from YourMechanic will get this resolved for you. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.

3. My car will not start. It is completely dead (zero power), is it my alternator?