Q: Replaced downstream o2 sensor, check engine light related to that sensor. What do i do?

Hi, i have a 2007 VW GTI 2.0T FSI motor. I have the check engine and comes up code p0036. Relating to the downstream o2 sensor, which i did replace and still the light came back. This car is modified with aftermarket cold air intake and APR tune. What should i do next? I need to pass emissions testing.

P0036 refers to the heater circuit in the rear oxygen sensor. It can sometimes be solved by replacing the sensor itself, and other times the malfunction will be in the wiring to the sensor, the relay that controls the heater or the ECU itself. It takes some point to point work with a volt-ohm meter to sort out the trouble. You should first of all inspect the harness to the sensor to make sure it hasn’t been damaged and be sure that the exhaust system ground strap is in place. Beyond that my best recommendation is to contact Your Mechanic to have a technician come to your home or office and check out your sensor heater code and tell you what it will take to fix it.

3. Replaced downstream o2 sensor, check engine light related to that sensor. What do i do?