Q: What are the differences with synthetic blend oil?

There is conventional oil and synthetic oil. What percent of the benefit of synthetic oil do you get with a 'synthetic blend'? A Ford dealer told me 80% of the gain of going from conventional to synthetic is derived from a synthetic blend which of course is less expensive.

Thanks! Jim

Hello and thank you for contacting YourMechanic. The percentage for synthetic blend oil is between 75% to 85%, depending on the manufacture. There are two types of synthetic oil, Semi-Synthetic and Full Synthetic. Semi-Synthetic is mixed with conventional oil with 75% to 85% of full synthetic oil and 15% to 25% conventional oil. Full Synthetic oil is 95% to 100% oil made from chemicals. Some full synthetic oils may have 5% conventional oils to help with engine wear.

If you plan on performing oil changes every 3 months or 3,000 miles, then conventional oil is recommended. If you plan on going out to 5 months or 5,500 miles, then semi-synthetic is recommended. If you plan on going out to 9 months or 7,500 miles, then full synthetic is recommended.

If you need further assistance with oil analysis or having your oil serviced, then seek out a technician, such as one from Your Mechanic, that can assist you with your vehicle at your home or office.