Q: What are the differences with synthetic blend oil?

asked by on October 27, 2016

There is conventional oil and synthetic oil. What percent of the benefit of synthetic oil do you get with a 'synthetic blend'? A Ford dealer told me 80% of the gain of going from conventional to synthetic is derived from a synthetic blend which of course is less expensive.

Thanks! Jim

Change Oil and Filter $92.33 - $165.78 Get a Quote

Hello and thank you for contacting YourMechanic. The percentage for synthetic blend oil is between 75% to 85%, depending on the manufacture. There are two types of synthetic oil, Semi-Synthetic and Full Synthetic. Semi-Synthetic is mixed with conventional oil with 75% to 85% of full synthetic oil and 15% to 25% conventional oil. Full Synthetic oil is 95% to 100% oil made from chemicals. Some full synthetic oils may have 5% conventional oils to help with engine wear.

If you plan on performing oil changes every 3 months or 3,000 miles, then conventional oil is recommended. If you plan on going out to 5 months or 5,500 miles, then semi-synthetic is recommended. If you plan on going out to 9 months or 7,500 miles, then full synthetic is recommended.

If you need further assistance with oil analysis or having your oil serviced, then seek out a technician, such as one from Your Mechanic, that can assist you with your vehicle at your home or office.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr