Q: Is my mechanic responsible for engine damage?

Recently took my car to a mechanic I was having to fill up on coolant more than usual. I had replaced my radiator about three years ago because I was having problems with it over heating and a different mechanic said I need to replace the radiator. Because the radiator was under warranty I returned it to auto zone and traded for a new one. I took it to a mechanic for them to install it. After installation i began to have more problems. The car was acting like it was going to die when I was trying to start it . Because I did not trust the work that was done I took it to another Mechanic and he said the hose was not connected on the bottom at all and the top the radator was loose. He also said that the hoses should have been replaced with the installation. Which Mechanic number one never told me. He replacedid the hoses and determined that there was engine damage. Can this have happen any other way besides bad installation of the radator?please help

Hi there. I have a few questions for us to ponder as we probe this concern. Did the vehicle overheat since the repair? Is the vehicle currently overheating? Is the check engine light on? If so, what are the stored codes? Was the water pump inspected/replaced? Thermostat? Are there any noises emanating from the engine? What is the current oil level and condition? Transmission fluid level and condition? As you can see, there are some unknown variables that we need to consider prior to placing blame on anyone. What I can help you with is that the idle air control valve has to have engine coolant running through it to properly set the idle and allow the vehicle to start and continue to idle. Also, a blown cylinder head gasket can create difficulty in starting and will be followed by possible overheating or drivability concerns. I suggest having a qualified technician perform an inspection to avoid a "he said, she said" and replacing unnecessary parts. Your Mechanic has several available technicians that can assist you with a car is hard to start inspection.

3. Is my mechanic responsible for engine damage?