Q: Can I place gas back in my car after using 4 gallons of diesel?

asked by on October 30, 2016

I made a mistake of using 4 gallons of diesel gas yesterday and my car won't start. I was wondering if I put gasoline in it would it start up ok?

Hey there. Unfortunately, diesel fuel does not combust the same as regular fuel does in a gasoline engine. Eventually, the car will run out of regular fuel and die as the diesel fuel is injected into the motor. Once this happens, the system will need to be drained of all diesel fuel. This may involve draining the fuel tank and purging the fuel system which includes bleeding out the injectors and fuel rail to rid the system of the diesel fuel. If you are continuing to have problems with the car, I recommend having a certified professional, like one from YourMechanic to diagnose the no start and assist with getting your car back on the road.