Q: What does it mean if the Check Engine light comes on in the dash?

What does it mean if the Check Engine light comes on in the dash?

A: Your car is pretty sophisticated. The compu...

Your car is pretty sophisticated. The computer systems are capable of monitoring a number of different aspects of operation, including the exhaust/emissions system, the engine and transmission, and more. If a problem is detected, the Check Engine light is turned on. If the light comes on while you’re driving, it means that the computer has found a problem with the throttle control system, the transmission control system, the engine control system, or the emissions system.

If the light comes on and you don’t notice any immediate performance change, it may not be an emergency. However, if you do notice that the car is operating differently, it’s highly advised to pull over and have it towed. Even if the car doesn’t seem to be doing anything abnormal, have it inspected as soon as possible.