Q: Car stopped working after loud popping noise

My car stopped working after I heard a loud popping noise. Was it the timing belt?

A: If the timing belt were to have broken, it ...

If the timing belt were to have broken, it would have been associated with a sound such as that. My best recommendation would be to have your timing belt inspected by a professional. The timing cover may need to be removed in order to verify that the belt is broken. If the belt has broken, you have have caused engine damage, especially if you have an interference engine. Interference engines will cause pistons to hit valves when the timing belt breaks causing permanent engine damage.