Q: Ignition starts car, but engine won't catch

The ignition will start in my car, but the engine will not catch. I’m thinking that it might be a security deterrent system problem. By following the directions, I can reset the PCM, but it takes 30 minutes. It has happened several times in the past year and this week it happened twice. In your experience, what is causing this problem and what should I do to solve it so that it won’t happen again?

A: Hello! I believe the problem will be within...

Hello! I believe the problem will be within your ignition key lock cylinder. There is a passlock sensor in the ignition key lock cylinder. This sensor is known to become bad overtime. Replacing the ignition key lock cylinder will more than likely make the issue you're having disappear.

I cannot see the instructions you're providing for the PCM reset procedure. Two easy ways to try to reset the system is to put the key into the ignition and turn the key to the "Run" position but don't start the engine. Leave the key in for 10 to 15 minutes. Another way is to close all of the doors and lock and unlock the driver's door three times with the original key.

If you need some assistance with this, enlist a qualified mechanic who can diagnose the issue with your ignition and address any issues that come up.