Q: Loss of power when accelerating - 2012 Chevrolet Aveo LT

Hi, I was just on my home from work which is about a 45 minute drive from where I live. About 10 minutes left on my journey and I go to over take a bus that is pulling into a bus stop when suddenly my engine light and traction like come on as I accelerate. The car had little pull and was jerking a little bit, as soon as I get to the speed limit and stop accelerating the lights go off and the car feels fine. When I popped the bonnet when I got home, there was no engine coolant in the tank, as I slowly opened it the fluid came rushing out near the top of the tank and then went down to a normal level. Any ideas why this is happening and what I can do to fix it? It's a 2012 Chevrolet Aveo lt (would t let me specify what model) thanks

Hello. Be sure to never open the cooling system while the engine is hot. The difference in pressure between the inside of the system and atmospheric pressure will always cause the hot coolant to boil out and may cause harm. No coolant in the reservoir does not always mean the system is empty, but may be a sign there is a leak.

The Check Engine Light came on and went off, but this would have stored a fault code in the engine’s computer; having this code read may shed some light on the issue. A failed ignition coil, broken spark plug or wire, or a failed sensor may be the cause, but that will be determined by the technician you have look over the vehicle.

I recommend having a certified mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, come to your location to determine why the Check Engine Light came on and why car lost power during acceleration.

3. Loss of power when accelerating - 2012 Chevrolet Aveo LT