Q: Installing a new distributor and need to get cyl. 1 at tdc how do i acheive this while making sure the rotor is set at #1?

I need to have my engine set back at tacky so that I can set in my distributor but, am having problems getting my rotor button pointed at cyl. 1 what is the best way to mark where my button is point to make sure it's where it's supposed to be and also make sure I'm on the compression stroke at tdc and not another stroke of the engine?

The easiest way I have found to do it is to mark on the intake where number one wire is on cap. Put mark on intake. Also not the distributor wire connector orientation and mark where it is also. Remove distributor cap and then note where rotor is and turn crank until rotor button points at the number one mark put on intake. Now remove and install new distributor and make sure rotor points to mark on intake for number one. Rotate distributor to line up on wire connector mark from before. Secure distributor and install cap. Set ignition timing with timing light to finish install of new distributor.

• Installing a new distributor and need to get cyl. 1 at tdc how do i acheive this while making sure the rotor is set at #1?