Q: Skipping engine, rough idle, shuts off during slow down & idle, overheating, white smoke from exhaust

asked by on February 26, 2017

Car overheats at slower speeds & idle, already removed thermostat, week ago it began issue where it will crank up but then rpms drop to zero & car shuts off. Have to rev engine up high just to get car in gear before it shuts down. Rides very rough now & feels like engine is skipping. Also has a lot of white smoke coming from exhaust & when you cut car off it makes this loud noise that sounds like an airplane

Thermostat Replacement $141.88 - $613.47 Get a Quote
Radiator Replacement $327.11 - $1271.53 Get a Quote
Idle Control Valve Replacement $146.15 - $920.51 Get a Quote

Hi There, It sounds like you may have a couple of separate issues going on here. Overheating can be caused by a number of things such as low coolant levels, a faulty thermostat, a clogged radiator or a failing coolant fan switch. As you may know the coolant fan switch helps to maintain the proper coolant temperature by turning on and off at specific temperature thresholds. When this switch is not working properly, this can cause the fans to come on intermittently, all the time or sometimes not at all. When this happens you will notice a temperature spike and drop occasionally as the fan comes on and off. When your thermostat is not working properly or is stuck closed, this will not allow the coolant to properly circulate through the engine, which may cause the engine temperature to fluctuate erratically or in some cases just remain hot. You may also have a water pump that is beginning to fail. Water pumps often times will begin to produce a bit of a whining sound when they are starting to fail. A common problem also associated with this is the water pump may begin to leak around the water pump shaft due to the seal being damaged. In addition to leaking around the pump, you may have a leak elsewhere in the cooling system coming from one of the hoses going to or from the radiator.

The rough idle and shutting off at slow speeds may be caused by a dirty or faulty idle air control valve. The idle air control valve monitors the air intake as it is mixed with fuel prior to being injected into the engine at low speeds and at idle. This valve is controlled by the vehicle’s computer and will adjust idle speed based upon other measurements such as engine temperature, intake air temperature and electrical system load or voltage. This is also an important function when starting the motor as it allows the motor to run and idle on it’s own once the motor fires. When you accelerate, the engine RPM increases, and as you let off the gas, the RPM slowly returns to the normal idling speed with the help of the idle air control valve making the transition from a higher RPM back down to idle speed while adjusting the air/fuel ratio constantly to allow this to happen smoothly. When the engine RPM drops below the normal range of about ~800 RPM, this often times will cause the engine to stall indicating a dirty or faulty idle air control valve. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose and inspect your vehicle.