Q: How do you check the transmission fluid?

asked by on December 15, 2015

How do you check the transmission fluid?

Keeping an eye on your transmission fluid is vital. While you should follow Ford’s recommendations on scheduled services, you should also make sure you monitor the level of fluid in the transmission to prevent potential serious damage. Here’s what you need to do:

1. Make sure the engine and transmission are warm. Ford recommends driving for 20 miles before checking the transmission fluid.

2. Park the car on a level surface.

3. With the engine running and your foot on the brake, move the gearshift through all gears.

4. Leave the engine running and put the parking brake on.

5. Open the hood (with the engine running).

6. Locate the transmission dipstick, pull it out and wipe it off.

7. Reinsert the dipstick and pull it back out.

8. Make sure that the fluid is within the hot operating temperature range.

Tips

• Never drive your car if the transmission fluid level does not show on the dipstick.

• Always check your fluid when the transmission and engine are hot. It can be checked cold, but it must be checked again when hot to get an accurate reading.