Q: Loose steering column - 1993 Saab 9000

I’ve noticed my steering column has been moving from side to side lately, and it’s getting worse. I’m wondering if it’s a bracket that came loose or a pinch bolt. Will the plastic piece under the steering column and felt padding need to come out? What do you think? How should I fix this? Thanks.

A: There are 2 or more bolts which keep the st...

There are 2 or more bolts which keep the steering column attached to the body structure under the dash. Possibly, these are loose, or worse, might have fallen out. This should be checked by a professional mechanic, like YourMechanic, before driving the vehicle further. This is a serious safety issue.