Q: Car stalls at steady higher speeds

My car starts up fine and idles well too. While I'm driving in the city with the warmed up engine, it runs without any problems. However, each time I'm at the highway, I increase the speed and start cruising, but very shortly after, the car stalls out. Then I have to pull over and restart it. It starts back up immediately. But, this happens every time after driving shortly at steady, highway speeds. I've noticed that slow deceleration keep it running at those speeds but the engine would sputter. I checked the fuel pump and it works well. I had the fuel filter replaced. Also, the first shift point is higher than normal. What might be the problem?

Hello there, a few common faults would cause your 1971 Chevrolet El Camino to stall out like this. The most common would be the carburetor, battery, alternator or the fuel pump. I recommend having a qualified technician, such as one from YourMechanic, scope out the situation in person to diagnose and repair the stalling issue.