Q: How do you calibrate the electronic compass?

How do you calibrate the electronic compass?

Your car’s electronic compass (if equipped) should be calibrated when you buy it, but it may lose its calibration due to interference from power lines, strong magnetic fields or even from replacing the battery. When this happens, you need to recalibrate it, and here’s how to do that:

1. Crank the car.

2. Press the 9 and 7 buttons on your car’s radio (the Preset buttons).

3. Hold them for about 10 seconds.

4. Release them when you see “CAL” in the display.

5. Drive your car in a very slow circle. Stay under 3 miles per hour.

6. Once “CAL” disappears, you should see your compass showing the correct direction.

Tips

• You may need to make up to 5 circles to calibrate the car.

• Make sure all other electronics are off during the calibration process.

• Make sure all the doors are closed.