Q: Transmission takes awhile to go into overdrive

asked by on December 04, 2016

Transmission takes awhile to go into overdrive

Car is hard to shift Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

The car cranks but it won't start

Fuel pressure and ignition spark need to be checked. Also, having fault codes checked in the engine computer is also necessary as hard faults that may prevent the vehicle starting could be stored. A faulty ground will generally be accompanied...

Brakes go to floor and are squeaky...

The brake booster is a mechanism that uses vacuum pressure to take the force being applied to the brake pedal and amplify it. If the booster is bad, then the full amount of force needed to activate the master cylinder...

The emergency brake activates itself, doesn’t feel safe

Talk to your dealer to check if your vehicle qualifies for recall RC-R01-15 to reprogram your transmission and engine control modules. Since your parking brake is electronic, it may be fixed with this recall. The dealer will verify your vehicle...

Engine power reduced

Multiple issues may cause your issue. The first step is to connect a diagnostic tool to your vehicle. It could be something simple or more advanced. A qualified mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, can assist you with any repairs...

Truck goes into reduced power. I have to stop, remove the key from ignition, remove gas cap, and put the gas cap back on. Truck some times will do this 2 to 4 times.

Hi there. Check the gas cap seal and see if there is a crack on it or if there is a distortion on the seal. If there is, I recommend replacing the gas cap. The gas cap seal is designed...

I've changed valve seals and all gaskets I'm getting gray smoke from tailpipe in 2000 Silverado

Gray smoke suggests burning oil but you can use a scan tool to look at fuel trims and see if perhaps rich operation is contributing to the problem as well. With regard to replacing the seals, if the valve guides...

Possible fuel pump issue? Car does not start.

Hi there. From the description you have provided, running over the median, car scraped hard, drove to the gas station a mile down the road, sputtered and died, could be any number of problems. The fact the fuel pump now...

Exhaust manifold pipe rusted off.

Hey there, thanks for writing in. You would need to have it metal clamped or welded on at an exhaust shop. Welding it will give you a better seal if the rest of the pipe is not damaged or rusted....

Noticed a small oil leak and intermittent coolant leak

Hello. The blue smoke on startup is likely worn valve stems or valve stem seals, which leak a tiny amount of oil overnight, but burns it off quickly. Nothing to worry about unless it gets worse quickly, or smokes all...