Q: Transmission takes awhile to go into overdrive

asked by on December 04, 2016

Transmission takes awhile to go into overdrive

Car is hard to shift Inspection $94.99 - $114.99 Get a Quote

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr

Driver's side door won't open

If the driver side door will not open then most of the time this is caused by a broken door latch that should be repalaced (https://www.yourmechanic.com/services/door-latch-replacement). If neither handle works then the latch is broken inside of the door or...

Headlights stay on

Hello. This sounds like the headlight switch is faulty. You might also want to check to make sure you have the headlight switch in either the auto position, or the off position. If the headlight switch is left in the...

Truck idles, but then dies

Hello. If it starts and runs fine when you adjust the timing and then turns off right after you accelerate then the timing may be changing right then. It may be a distributor problem, or more commonly, a failing timing...

Water leak in driver's side floorboard

Your water leak could be coming from numerous locations. However, if your vehicle has a sunroof, the drain tube may be the cause. This tube drains right onto the floor boards. Other potential causes include the windshield, marker lights and...

buying for 22,000.00

That is a very tough question to answer without being able to see the vehicle first hand. That is a lot of miles, but if it was mostly highway miles, that isn't so bad. If it was a lot of...

oil pressure drops,replaced oil pump, ran for a 2 months, and again pressure drops after afew minutes.

Engine oil pressure may go lower after an engine gets warm. You should have the oil pressure checked with a gauge tester to verify the oil pressure is within specification. If it falls to below specification, then you should replace...

My car blows white smoke out of the tailpipe.

A puff of white smoke from the tailpipe can be caused by a few different things. If you have ruled out the possibility of a bad head gasket, then the next most probable cause is as a result of the...

Temperature gauge problem on a 2005 Mercedes Benz S500

Hello - I would first check for problem codes, whether the Check Engine light is illuminated or not. And, if the engine is not really overheating, the problem is most likely the engine temperature sensor (https://www.yourmechanic.com/article/3-essential-things-to-know-about-your-car-s-temperature-gauge) (the sensor for the...

Immediately after engine turns over power steering and dashboard loses power but comes back on after the car warms up.

Check to see if there is any loose wiring under the dashboard and if there is any loose ground wires. A loose wire will cause a circuit or multiple circuits to stop working. The wiring could be associated with a...