Q: low oil pressure light is on and loud engine knocking

asked by on November 30, 2017

Ever since I’ve bought the car I’ve been receiving a faded blinking low oil pressure light every time I brake, the problem would seem to go away as soon as I do an oil change for a week then returns. As time passes a loud engine knocking sound eventually starts being heard driving it. I was driving to school one day and I reach a stop light the car starting intensely shaking and the sound gotten louder and the oil light came full on, ive stopped the car on the side of the road and noticed little bits of oil on the engine cover, I turned it back on after 15 mins and managed to bring it to school , I finished class and drove it normally but with caution. 30 mph was my max the sound was severely louder and every time I would rev it , the sound grew. I’ve came to a stop at a stop light and the car turned off. Thankfully I manage to turn it back on and don’t know how but drove it back home which was 15 mins 10 miles under the speed limit with the Emergency lights on. It’s sitting home.

Oil Pressure Light is on Inspection $79.99 - $99.99 Get a Quote

Hi Dominic. Thanks for submitting your question today. When you have a loud engine noise that is followed by a low oil light or any oil light, it’s often related. When the oil pressure is low or oil level is low, internal engine components that depend on proper lubrication will start to wear metal-to-metal. This can and often does cause the knocking or grinding sound. This is a situation that should be inspected and repaired by a professional mechanic as soon as possible. So, I would recommend having one of our mobile mechanics come to your location to complete an oil light inspection. This will allow them to inspect the vehicle at your home and determine the best course of action.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr