Q: Pinking rattles when accelerating

asked by on September 13, 2016

My car has 30,500 miles. My car does something called pinking. When I press on the gas and accelerate it rattles. Sometimes my Check Engine light will come up on the dash. Then the car went into limp mode. If I turned the car off then back on then the engine worked like normal again. I recently returned the car for a brake recall. I went to pick it up and asked the dealer if he knew of the engine problem with my car model. He said he knew about it and said the problem engines had been replaced. I looked into it further and learned BMW cheated me. What are you thoughts on this?

Loss of power Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Hello there, thank you for asking about your 2003 BMW 760Li. Spark knock, or pinging, can result from excessive carbon build up. There is a technical service bulletin (TSB) regarding this condition for your vehicle: SI B 11 11 06. This could definitely be your problem. The only way to know for sure is to have your vehicle inspected firsthand by a professional, such as one from YourMechanic, for engine pinging and loss of power.