Q: My Oil Pressure Light blinks when I come to a stop. What's wrong?

My oil light is blinking

This is likely a sign of low oil pressure, which is usually caused by a leak or low oil levels. I would start by checking your oil to be sure the oil level is at the appropriate capacity. You should see a line on the dipstick that says "full." You will want to be sure you see oil reaching this mark.

If you have sufficient oil in the motor, there may possibly be a leak. Check underneath the car for signs of oil present on the ground or the smell of oil burning on hot engine parts as this can be a sign of a leak.

Finally, if no signs of oil leaking are present, this may possibly be a sign of a faulty oil pressure sending unit. This is a unit that monitors the oil pressure inside the engine and relays this information to your car’s computer. When this detects that there may be less than the appropriate amount of oil pressure in the engine, it causes the light to come on.

I would recommend having an expert mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, come to your home or office to perform an inspection to determine why the Oil Pressure Light is on.