Q: I want to know if i should buy this car for $700 or just wait it out.

friend is trying to sell a 1998 honda accord and the cv joint is messed up. he said the radiator is also broken and the mileage is unknown.

If the vehicle only needs a new axle (CV driveshaft) and a new radiator, the price is only "average". However, if there are any other defects at all, particularly significant corrosion on the brake and fuel lines, at $700 you would be overpaying. If the brake and fuel lines are corroded, replacing all that is a fairly significant undertaking. It’s definitely doable, and if the car is otherwise in good condition it’s worth doing but you have to check beforehand for that category of damage to understand what you are getting yourself involved in. It is really hard to say without seeing the car up very close but, again, if no OTHER problems (which is usually not likely, unfortunately) $700 is about average given that you have two significant repairs right out of the starting gate. You might offer him $400 or $500 to cover the risk of other unknown, but required repairs. You also have the option of requesting a used car inspection and the certified mechanic would come to you and let you know basically everything you’re likely to face based on the condition of the vehicle. The major hazard (financial and indeed safety risk) on a car of that age is going to be RUST and rust on important stuff like fuel and brakes lines. If the rust is minimal, it could be a good deal. If lots of rust, I’d start at $250 and go up from there slightly. Please let us know if we can assist further.

3. I want to know if i should buy this car for $700 or just wait it out.