Q: Car did not engage going forward, nor in reverse

Our car had not been always engaging in reverse (an intermittent occurrence). This weekend we drove 225 miles. When we pulled into a parking garage and got the check-in ticket, the car did not engage going forward or reverse. I had to push the car out of the way of the line of traffic. When I got back in, the transmission started working again. Can you tell me the cause and a permanent fix for this problem. Thanks.

Hi we will be happy to help. The issue you are experiencing is likely due to a form of preventive maintenance that your vehicle needs. The maintenance that I’m referring to is the clutch actuator adjustment. Overtime, the clutch will become too far to make contact with the friction surface to change the gear. To adjust this, the technician must loosen the clutch actuator and move it out toward the driver side of the car.The actuator should be moved about 1/8 of an inch to the driver’s side of the vehicle then be retightened. I suggest you have a certified technician diagnose the issue with your car not moving. They will be able to perform this actuator adjustment as necessary, as this will likely resolve your problem. Good luck!