Q: No reverse and will not down shift.

asked by on December 06, 2016

My beetle will not go in reverse. Sometimes it will drive in N & it won't down shift or up shift.

Transmission Fluid Service $125.08 - $445.00 Get a Quote

This may be a sign of low transmission fluid or a faulty transmission control solenoid. As you know, automatic transmissions use pressurized hydraulic fluid to change gears. Every time a gear change is required, the car’s computer activates a transmission solenoid, which directs transmission fluid into the valve body to engage the correct gear. When this is faulty or not working properly, this can cause a delay in gear shifting or in some cases cause the car to not shift at all. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to take the car for a test drive to more specifically determine the cause for this.