My service charging system battery light is on after repl...

Q: My service charging system battery light is on after replacing my alternator with a brand new one. It is not charging my battery.

asked by on May 25, 2017

My service charging system battery light is on after replacing my alternator with a brand new one. My alternator is also not charging my battery. What could be the problem

Hello, thank you for writing in. Several things may be going on. The installation of the new alternator needs to be verified, focusing on the electrical connections and the drive belt. Make sure the connections are clean, dry, and tight. Make sure the drive belt is routed properly and is tight on the alternator pulley (as it is what powers the alternator). If the installation was fine, you will want to make sure the alternator was not faulty from the factory. It is not common, but these issues have been known to happen. Most automotive parts stores can test the alternator off of the vehicle. If you would like more help with testing, contact our service department to schedule an appointment.