Q: 2006 Tunda Oil Pressure gage shows between 1/2 - 3/4 depending on the speed going

Hello, I have noticed for the past 1.5 years that the oil pressure gauge fluctuates between mid point and 3/4 regularly. When I take it on the highway it says steady at 3/4, but if I stop at a rest stop it drops right back to 1/2. around town it will vary depending on the speed, seems that if they rpms get to 2000 it goes up. Also not that the cooler weather is here in NY in the morning when first start it will be 3/4 until the truck warms up. I had my mechanic check the gauge and they said it was working fine. I am thinking next we should be checking the oil pressure valve to make sure it is working correctly. the truck is rust free and had the frame replaced last year in the Toyota recall. But I like traveling in my truck and if this is a possible issue then maybe it is time to trade in the truck while it is still worth something. So after all that the question is it normal for the gauge to bounce back and forth between 1/2 and 3/4 on an older truck? Thanks :)

A: Hello. The truck is designed to have a lowe...

Hello. The truck is designed to have a lower oil pressure at lower engine speeds and more pressure as the engine speed is increased. This sounds like it is normal operation of the gauge and oil pressure in the engine. When the engine is cold, the oil is thicker and will give you a higher pressure util it warms up and thins the oil a little. This is also normal. If you doubt the gauge, then have the oil pressures checked using a pressure gauge and comparing to the specifications of the engine.