Q: Humming sounds during driving over 30 mph

After I had the rear wheel bearing on the driver's side replaced, my car started making some humming sounds. These are noticeable only during driving and only over 30 mph. The noise becomes louder as the speed increases. The sounds seem to be coming from the driver's side of the vehicle or the engine. It gets so very loud at around 50 mph. It resembles the noise of an airplane. What could be making this noise?

A: The inner and outer edges of the tire tread...

The inner and outer edges of the tire tread wall on the affected side where the noise is coming from needs to be inspected for a cupping or cupping wear pattern. These types of wear patterns can produce a noise of this nature that will increase in frequency and intensity as the vehicle speed increases. If this type of pattern is evident you may be able to rotate the noisy tires to the rear to reduce the noise heard. Otherwise the affected tires will need to be replaced.