Q: Third Generation Dodge Ram 3500 dually problem years.

In regards to 3rd Generation Diesel Cummins Dodge Ram 3500s, which years are the least expensive to operate and which years should I avoid for towing a 12,000 lbs trailer long distances? Manual transmission.

Thank you for your time.

Hi there. To be quite honest, I’ve never experienced any issues with the manual transmission third generation Dodge Ram 3500 Dually. The problems I have seen are typical with automatic transmission powered 3500’s and have more to do with torque converter failure than anything engine related. If you’re looking to buy one, just make sure you are able to obtain any previous service and repair records. If you’ve seen any major repairs completed prior to 100,000 miles, stay away; because the one thing that is common with multiple duallies is when something major breaks; more problems quickly follow.