Q: My car wont not start. I bought a battery and a starter. It turns over but won't fire up. I was told it may be electrical

asked by on September 09, 2016

My car will not start I bought a new battery and just had a starter put on and it still won't start up it turns over but won't fire up. I want to know if it's electrical

Car is not starting Inspection $79.99 - $99.99 Get a Quote

Check the simplest things first. There is the possibility that the microchip in your key is defective. So called chip keys do fail and one failure mode is you car won’t start. Perhaps you have a known good duplicate key unused at home that you could try.

If you get a professional to confirm that your key is good, or you obtain and try a known working key (programmed to your PCM if required) and the car still will not run (i.e., starter works but engine won’t start and run), then you either have a problem with the fuel supply system or the electrical system or both (rare). The good news is your problem is not intermittent and thus will probably be relatively easy to diagnose. If you would like to have this checked, a technician from YourMechanic can come to your car’s location to diagnose the starting issue and assist with repairs.