Q: Second Opinion

My mechanic is suggesting a water pump replacement. He is quoting the repairs at over $700. Why is he asking so much when the part seems to cost somewhere around $100?

You should get a complete cost break down in writing. The price may not be just for the water pump and have additional repairs like thermostat and hoses or flushing of the system. make sure you get all work in writing and the contact another mechanic like one from YourMechanic to quote all the repairs to compare using local pricing to you.