Q: Why is my car running hot?

My van runs hot every time I drive it. Into the danger zone. Then after about 20 minutes it maintained regular temperature. I noticed water leaking in my passenger floor board. What could cause this?

Hi there, thank you for asking about your 2000 Dodge Grand Caravan. In most cases, the symptoms you’re describing are related to a problem with your radiator thermostat. The thermostat is supposed to open the radiator to flow coolant into the engine when the engine coolant reaches a desired temperature. If it is not working correctly, it can cause the engine to run hot until it eventually opens. The leak near the passenger floor board may be due to a leak in the heater coolant tubes which may or may not be related to the overheating issue. The best way to determine the precise cause of your cooling issues, is to contact a technician from YourMechanic who can complete an overheating inspection and recommend the correct course of action.

3. Why is my car running hot?