Q: Spark Plug Gap Issue

asked by on April 21, 2016

I have bought NGP spark plugs to replace. The factory recommended gap is 0.043 inch or 1.1 mm. however, the stores have gap gauges that have .044 inch or 1.14 mm which is a little bit larger than the recommended gap. What should I do? Online searching didnt find any exact match. Should I keep the gap at .044 or press a little bit?

When the manufacture says .043 then a gap from .042 to .046 is okay. When we gap the spark plugs it is not an exact science and this is why we get as close to the recommended gap as possible. If you gap the plugs to .044 then you will be fine. Do not try and push it in a little since a little is not able to be measured and you may go too far on one or more plugs and not even realize it.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr