Q: What Is Included in an Engine Inspection?

asked by on December 02, 2015

What is included in an engine inspection?

Engine inspections are an integral part of any engine repair or diagnostics visit. They can also be a separate visit to get a general condition of an engine, like in a pre-purchase inspection or a safety check inspection. The inspection will include checking for oil and coolant leaks, oil condition, coolant condition, belts condition, and tightness. The air filter and housing is inspected to see if it is clean and in working condition. The positive crankcase ventilation (PCV) system is inspected for blockage and proper operation. The cooling fan and clutch is checked for damage and operation. The cooling system fluid is checked for cleanliness, leaks and antifreeze/anti-boil protection. The belts are checked for breaks, cracks or missing pieces. The engine is run and any noise or abnormal running condition is noted. After all checks, the repairs needed are noted. Any specific engine problems found during the inspection and not on work order may need additional diagnostic time at the mechanics discretion.

After the engine inspection is done, any work that is noted in the inspection will be recommended and quoted. The vehicle will be left in the same condition as before the inspection, unless additional work was authorized on the repair order and finished.